Destination unknown?

Well yesterday was interesting as the captain had heard of the situation in Mexico.  From my research it seems more about the various official agency's in Mexico finally tightening the enforcement of rules.  It first happened with cars owned by various foreign residents who enjoyed the lax enforcement and were not bothering to get the proper import paperwork.. Vehicles were confiscated etc.. Now the same rules are suddenly being enforced on foreign boats visiting Mexico.  Mexico has it set up were you can pay online for your individual tourist visa and just show the paid receipt to receive when you check-in to the country.  You can also get the TIP Temporary Import Permit which costs $50.  You also need to have the boats registration papers etc.. It appears you best stay with your boat until the AGACE, a sub agency of Hacienda..which appears to be like the IRS makes their visit to the marina you are at.. I say this as some boats, even with all the proper paperwork check-in as far as clearing with customs/immigration and quarantine but have yet to be visited but AGACE.  If they are not available when they visit it sounds like they assume you are not compliant and put your boat in a precautionary embargo... There are apparently 338 visiting boats under this status.  You are not allowed to leave what ever marina you are at and if you do the marina is obligated to report you.  

Well the cruising community is putting Mexico on their 'do not visit' list rather than take a chance at getting on this precautionary embargo list.  Some are using terms like Mexico is seizing boats but they are not being taken and impounded somewhere.  Owners still live on them at the marinas waiting? And it sounds like some have been waiting for some months now?  

I feel if I had my own boat and was sure I had all the required paperwork.. Excluding the TIP! I would visit Mexico if that was my plan.  Who knows really as I don't have my own boat.  Well the captain/owner of the boat I'm volunteer crewing on is quite concerned and fears loosing his boat/home due to some official making up their own rules?  From my research it seems safe enough to get all the paperwork secured and not leave the boat until visited by the AGACE.  At any rate it's looking very much like we won't be visiting Mexico.  There is talk of heading to the Dominican Republic.  That's where I spent the majority of my 2 months crewing last winter.  The route would be totally different, perhaps stopping in the Bahamas on the way?  Then who knows maybe the captain would head west to the Rio Dulce?  I must admit I was really excited about visiting the Rio Dulce.

Links to the situation below

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/12/18/new-rules-sailing-mexico/

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/mexico-confiscated-380-yachts-any-confirmation-116348.html

Comments