Varnishing the main mast

Today, January 7th, Walter hoisted Candace up the main mast to sand and varnish it.  I went to shore and mostly hung out at the Long Island Breeze Resort where I had lunch and WiFi.  I docked the dinghy at a closer dinghy dock option and walked which was hot and sweaty.  It took a while once I got there to not feel like I'm in a sauna.  I then checked out a grocery store the other direction past where I'd docked the dinghy.  I asked around about BTC phone cards and public phones for Candace but failed to find out anything other than few places are still selling the cards besides BTC themselves plus finding a working public phone booth is rare.. Mobile phones have made those a lot harder to find everywhere, the difference is old non working remnants remain here where they are generally removed in the USA.
Once I returned to the boat, the mast varnish project was progressing and once they were done they went off to get showers at the Long Island Breeze Resort.  While I was having lunch and WiFi, I asked about showers and the owners implied a water shortage had them not really wanting non guests taking them up on the $5 shower option. ...Later that night...  As it turned out Walter and Candace had trouble getting a shower and had to include dinner to convince the resort to grant them showers.. Hence it was a late dinner for me whipped up by Candace upon their return.  


This rainbow was back at Elizabeth Harbor where we were anchored a week near Georgetown.  The rain never fell where we were.  We left there on the 6th.  Last night it rained a little here on Long Island.

OK..back to Long Island on the morning of January 8th.  It was a lovely morning with breakfast in the cockpit.  We watched as the dark clouds to the north arrive with rain and not very strong winds.  A few other sailboats have anchored up on the north end of the bay.  I think mainly just moving up from further south in Thompson Bay.  So far, it's rained off and on this morning.


Sunset last night (above).  Early morning before the rain (below).




Comments