My 4th winter of volunteer crewing

Usually I wait to post until I'm 100% certain if there is such a thing...based on the fact I've not yet purchased my one way airfare to Long Beach California, where the boat is.  The previous 3 winters, on 3 different sailboats, I've been sailing in the western Caribbean.  Two of those 3 times the planned destination was the eastern Caribbean but boat engine problems caused a change of plans.  The second winter I was helping sail from Florida to Rio Dulce Guatemala but ended up jumping ship in Punta Allen Mexico.  I learned last winter that boat never made it to Rio Dulce and ran aground and sank trying to negotiate the channel through the reef into Xcalak Mexico.  Last year due to engine problems the captain decided Rio Dulce would be a better place for major engine repairs or replacement than the eastern Caribbean.  We ran into the boat I'd met last winter at a marina in Isla Mujeres and got the story.   After picking up replacement crew for me..sounded like someone he knew..they set out for Xcalak ... Read more.

Anyway...about this upcoming 4th winter volunteer crewing.  I'm joining a 41 foot sailboat that is embarking on a circumnavigation.  I believe it's the very beginning but I'm not certain yet.  The captain/owner is 41 and described himself as retired though he owns a business that functions with only occasion input from him.  He wants a crew of 3 to 4, himself included.  Once I leave the boat they will be making the jump to the Marquesas Islands in French Polynesia.  He hoped I could help with that and so did I but return airfare was $2,200 and that was from Tahiti so I'd also have additional travel costs.  I really can't be away past tax time and my lease with my tenants is May 1st.  Kind of makes me wish I had already sold my house but still I don't really want to be away from my 94 year old mom!  3 or 4 months is arguably too long.  This crewing gig is likely to be for around 3 months.  I'm joining the boat in Long Beach California and will leave the boat in La Cruz Mexico..just south of Mazatlan.  
That is unless something happens ?  I think if he found a crew to replace me who was also up for the jump to French Polynesia I'd be out... I'm waiting to hear of our estimated departure based on a haul out and pre-circumnavigation boat survey Tuesday.. He's hoping for a mid November departure if all checks out.. I'll buy my airfare once departure is more closely estimared.  

I'm looking forward to some sailing in the Pacific Ocean.  It was much more difficult to find a boat this year.  I sent out over 15 inquires while previous years I'd only inquired 2 or 3 times before finding a boat.  It appears there are many more crew seeking boats than boats seeking crew online.
I'll blog as best I can...


Comments