Lots of Launching Lately

Over the weeks I’d gotten to know a few of the sailors near to my boat.  I’d even begun to join the happy hour gathering a couple boats away.  One couple that launched a few days ago is from Kodiak Island, Alaska.  They have built quite the off grid homestead up there.  It all began about 20 years ago I guess.  A huge garden with hoop green house and a ton of fruit trees.  Apple trees of course but also plums, apricots, cherries and more.  A small hydropower system on a creek is is their primary source of electricity.  Anyway they bought a catamaran on eBay here at the boatyard and worked on it 3 winters before the current plan of...continuing the work but also getting it in the water for a bit of sailing.  Another guy next to me used to be harbor patrol on Catalina Island at Two Harbors for many years.  Two other sailors at the boatyard had also done that work in the past.  One lived on her 30’ sailboat when working there.   Another neighbor just 10’ away is in the slings ready for a morning launch.   That’s 4 boats near mine that have launched in...10 days maybe?



Many who launch head over to a place called El Mero.  It’s affordable docking...with a gate and guard and you pay just $2.50 usd a day.. $75 usd a month.  No electricity, no water .. there is a rest room but no shower.  There were about 6 or 7 boats when I stopped to have a look.  I guess 2 boats are living there long term.  Most use it to do final preparations before heading out.  It’s a 2 mile walk but about 6 or 7 miles by water.

The couple from Alaska bought my outboard.  Now if I could only sell the other 4 items.  My Zodiac dinghy, horizontal aluminum 20 lbs propane tank, 33 pound Bruce anchor, tankless propane water heater.  I’ll haul them home if need be...





















Comments