La Fortuna 

During my final night I had a nice talk with the 3 other dorn roomers.  It was a couple from Ontario on a 10 day get away and a Venezuelan man who’s lived in Costa Rica about 2 years.  He was heading back the next day to Caracas for just a couple weeks, then returning.  I think he was doing some kind of graduate?  Considering my plan to possibly travel to Venezuala to meet the owner of Allegro and look the boat over to possibly buy..it was great to get some travel tips and reassurances.  He gave me his email in case I had questions and would put me in contact with his uncle ... a Venezuelan travel agent with good English abilities.  Now I just need to have it work out for the owner of Allegro to travel there.  

I walked to the bus station using my backpacks function for the first time.. feels good.  My travel backpack has the feature of concealing the shoulder straps and hip belt in a zippered compartment.  I’ve traveled with it several times but only as a duffel.  The bus ride is said to be 4 hours Alajuela to La Fortuna.  It was exactly that.  I’d heard at times it can take 6 hours?  I’m in a 6 bunk men’s dorm with ensuite bath and there are just 3 of us so far anyway.  It’s always nice to have a bottom bunk.  The German guy invited us to join him and his friends out to dinner but later.. 8:30.  I’ve already walked, pretty much the whole town today stopping for a coffee.  It began to drizzle at the last half hour if the bus ride.  It stopped by the time we got there long enough for me to finally eat as I’d skipped breakfast with my early start.  After my 11 am breakfast I walked the 4 blocks to the La Choza Hostel at the end of a street the final block of which is unpaved.

This is where the included breakfast is served 7 am to 9 am.  The kitchen is available to use from 10 am until 10 pm.


Of course La Fortuna is a popular tourism place with no shortage of ways to spend money.  I will splurge and take the $50 .. Full day, 2 volcano hike which includes lunch and a stop at a hot springs and swinging bridge.  I’m still decided whether to take the local bus around Lake Arenal to Monteverde with on3 required bus change.... or the 3 hour shortcut 4 wheel drive .. boat ride .. 4 wheel drive for $25.  The local bus route to Tilaran and on to Monteverde would likly cost about $6.  But, It’s more the decision on which is more scenic and interesting.  I’m sure the bus ride offers some great views of Lake Arenal but maybe the 4 wheel drive shuttles and boat ride a short ways across the lake do to.  Now if only the skies will clear enough to see the volcanoes 🌋.  This hostel also offers a shuttle to the Free hot springs....once per guest, per stay.  


Comments