Travelers traveling

It’s always interesting to stay in hostels at 64 years.  On the rare occasion you see another older traveler traveling frugally.  The majority staying in hostels are young college age travelers but some 30’s and even 40’s.  One thing you noticed and I’ve noticed this for a long time is that those from the USA are more likely on a vacaction of a week or two.  The Europeans I’ve met at the 2 hostels I’ve been at are usually traveling for a few months.  2 German sisters were 2 months into their 6 months of traveling the Caribbean, Central and South America.  It is a break between the end of college and the start of their careers which are already assured and waiting for them.  Of course they also have no student debt.  2 other sisters .. dual USA and Canadian citizens, were near the end of 3 months of travels.  They both work as teachers at private schools, one in San Diego and one in Vancouver.  They told me they just needed a year off so told the private school administrations and were told.. enjoy your vacation, your jobs will be waiting for you?   Of course I have met more travelers from the USA than just the dual citizen sisters on vacations longer than just a week or two, but it seems all Europeans I meet have a different concept of what it means to be traveling.  I’m very happy to be traveling for longer periods of time even if it means being frugal.  

So far I’ve stayed in just 2 hostels. Alajuela Backpacker’s Hostel, which is very near the airport with a free shuttle.  I cost $13 per night for 4 bed dorm with en-suite bath which I chose.  The cheapest is $11 for 10 bed dorm with shared bath out in the hall.  This does not include breakfast but they do have coffee available in the morning.  In La Fortuna I decided on Hotel La Choza Inn which is very popular.  I chose the 6 bed male dorm with en-suite bath.  They’re pretty flexible on that make dorn thing as there’s a guy and 2 girls from Netherlands and Belgium in here right now. The La Choza has very nice included breakfast of scrambled eggs, pineapple and banana, rice and beans, toast, coffee or tea and orange juice.  It’s $7.50 per night.  I decided to add another night ... tonight and they only charged me $6.  The two dual citizen sisters who I talked to on the free shuttle to the hot springs (each guest here can take one time)..told me about a hostel in Monteverde..Santa Elena for $5.50 that was quite nice and also included breakfast.  I booked 3 nights there on Hostel World this morning.  It’s called Mi Casa Tica. 

Last post I mentioned I’d decided to take the long slow local bus around to Monteverde...so I could see the whole Lake Arenal.  When I stopped at the bus station to ask about schedule and cost I was easily convinced to take the much more sensible Jeep-Boat-Jeep transport.  It takes about 3 hours and they pick you up and drop you off where you’re staying.  It cost $25.  The local bus requires a bus switch with an hour and a half wait in a Tilaran.  It’s about 4 hours to Tilaran, then another 5 hours to Santa Elena..Monteverde.  It sounded like it cost $12 total.  Arrival was said to be about 8:00 pm. 


I marked the two hostel locations with ❤️ hearts.  I have no idea of the actual Jeep-Boat-Jeep route.


Comments