Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve

Three of us from the Mi Casa Tica Hostel took the 7:30 am bus to Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve.  I joined Julie and Lea from Denmark and Belgium hiking to the overlook.  After they were anxious to make the 11 am bus back to go zip lining so we went our separate ways.  As it turns out soon after we split they happened upon a guided group who were viewing and taking photos of a pair of Quetzals.  That’s the bird every body wants to see in the cloud forest.  They managed to get great photos of the male Quetzal which was perched quite close to the trail and not very high.  I ran into them and they told me where it was so I went but the male had flown off.  I did see the female but only through the guide’s spotting scope.  Tomorrow  morning I’m going to the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve. You see and hear a lot of birds in the cloud forest.  I didn’t even try to take pictures.  Lots of warblers.  One large bird I forget the name of but had also seen over in La Fortuna during the volcano hike.

This male Quetzal photo (below) is courtesy of Julie, who took the photo and Lea who shared it with me as Jukie had already left.



Comments