So close to a deal...but seller changed their mind 

It’s been over a month ago now.. In fact it was before the end of October that the broker...after several weeks of offers and counter offers, sent the email. “Congratulations your offer has been excepted!!”  Sadly, while waiting for the seller to return the e-signed agreement, the broker messaged me the sad news.  The owner had reconsidered and taken the Tayana 37 off the market.  I told the broker to increase my offer to the maximum I had in mind, but to no avail.  

After a day or two of feeling sorry for myself, I contacted the owner of the Tayana 37 sitting on the hard in Venezuala as to if it’s still available.  It had been months sense I’d told him I was probably going to buy an Islander Freeport 36 in Rio Dulce.   He was happy to hear of my renewed interest.  This Tayana 37 in Venezuala is 1 year newer than the Antigua one but has the original wooden spars.  Although, they’ve been well maintained by the looks and sound of things.  The owner is an Austrian who had been living on his boat ‘Allegro’ for some years.. He was in Venezuala when a health issue caused him to give up his sailing life.  It’s been on the hard 5 years which is not ideal so I’ve requested recent photos to be taken and emailed by the owner of the boatyard.  He’s a Frenchmsn with a Venezualan wife and also owns a resort hotel next to it.  With the owner of Allegro not able to say exactly when he would be able to travel to his boat, but February at the earliest....I’ve decided to spend time in Costa Rica.  Likely about 2 months..then I’ll take the Ticabus down to Panama.  Flights were cheaper from Panama City to Caracas than San Jose and I was curious to see Panama anyway.  So hopefully in February I’ll go meet the owner of Allegro and see his boat?  If he’s unable to travel due to his health or what ever problem I guess I’ll have to pass.  But if it’s in as good a shape as it appears, it can be a very good deal due to the non ideal location of the boat.  If I end up buying Allegro, I’ll have a year to hopefully find a couple friends to help sail and enjoy a classic voyage up through the eastern Caribbean then west and on to Rio Dulce.  The shorter alternative would be the more direct route heading west to the ABCs, possibly a stop in Colombia and/or straight to the Bay Islands of Honduras and on to Rio Dulce.  Any friends let me know if you’re interested and able.  

So here I am in Alajuela, Costa Rica one extra night due to my lost baggage. Spirit Airlines did well to reconnect me with my backpack the next day.  I’m off to La Fortuna on the public bus in the morning.  

Some photos of the Tayana 37 named Allegro below.. taken 5 years ago.. 


Comments