First day . 1/14

We moved the boats the next morning. Captain was making a bigger deal out of it than seemed warranted. He had myself and the Canadian brothers wait on the dock as he approached way too close to various other boats. I found it odd he didn't want another person on the boat to toss the line. I shouted careful you're steering wind vane is going to hit that boat. The captain of that boat rushed out to his stern as our wind vane and one of his dinghy davits made contact with a scrapping noise. I jumped on the boat as it passed by the dock, immediately pushing it away from contact with another boat. Soon there were about 6 or seven other people watching and giving recommendations. Finally between my pushing the bow out away from the boat sharing the berth and the stern line now in the hands of the Canadian brother, the boat was pulled into position stern first.

It was a good lesson on how not to dock a boat. I would not have run along so close to the sterns of all those boats as I approached for a stern entry? I for sure would have had another person on the boat to toss the line. Captain says reversing his boat is difficult. I've no experience in close maneuvering, reversing and docking of boats this size.

Did I mention upon our arrival the previous afternoon, once we knew what side we'd be docking on... I said "should I put the fenders out" but Captain said "no, not yet. ?? Seriously I thought? He came in to fast and too close. I tossed a line from the bow to those on the dock and watched as the boat kissed and scrapped along as those on the dock shouted things line..."don't they have any fenders". I moved to place fenders as soon as I'd tossed the dock line and got one fender in at some point after that initial contact.

I'm crewing to learn things including docking. It's the one thing I only have experience in handling lines and placing fenders. I've never been at the helm while docking...that is since docking my own small fishing boats back in the day. I have a feeling I won't have a chance with this boat? That might even have to wait until I have my own boat.

Things can only improve docking wise.

Eventually we and the Canadian brothers made our way into town where we spent the afternoon. It's true what I'd heard. There are a lot of vintage cars from the 1950's here and the woman dress really sexy.

The boat safely in her berth. The Canadian's boat approaching their berth. Yes they kissed the dock.

Classic cars, horse drawn taxis and tricycle taxis are common.

Comments