It's been one month

Today is has been one month since arriving to Marathon Florida and living on the sailboat I've volunteered as crew. I've gotten a good taste of living on a boat on a mooring at a popular live aboard marina. It's become routine, even the 6 or 7 weather window postponements. I'm not sure if that includes the most recent one...tomorrow. We were to set out tomorrow but again the window shortened and this time what follows beginning Monday will be the strongest winds we've had. I've heard possibly as high as 40 knots.

It's clear to me the captain is not interested in any kind of a batten down the hatches and take waves crashing into the cockpit (which lacks a dodger) kind if crossing. The day we turned back after actually heading put a couple miles into a light south headwind seems like a mistake to me but what do I know? It's not my boat and I'm doing this to learn.

One positive thing is we've been waiting for the illusive weather window long enough that the Canadian brothers have finished with the drive shaft and fuel pump repairs on their boat. Actually it's one brothers boat, the other is just helping sail to Rio Dulce. They had actually set out a couple days before I'd arrived but when the drive shaft gave out at 30 miles out they sailed and eventually were towed back to the Marathon Boatyard. Some $5,000 later they are on a mooring, waiting just like us. I'm assuming this will mean no hesitation on departing when an adequate window arrives. Now we have a buddy boat for the crossing.

I have learned that I would truly love living on a boat. This based on even liking being somewhat trapped on a relative strangers boat. Abiding by his schedule, his choice of food etc.. There is only one dinghy with no SOT kayak or other alternative, so I just go with the flow. I could be more demanding of the food I prefer but why make waves. He does all the cooking anyway and it just gets too complicated to go individual on the food. For sure my normal diet is much healthier. His diet lacks fruits and vegetables, unless you count potato chips?

No tentative weather window has been mentioned...just that it looks like it will be at least a week?

It's nice to look at all the different sailboats. I wish he did have a SOT kayak so I could spend some time paddling around the mooring field and the channels in the mangroves.

Comments