Final days at Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park.

It was Saturday the 27th that I bought the $15 for 100 megabyte wifi. Later that day Candace and I did go snorkeling once. Well I did anyway...Candace doesn't like snorkeling as it were but prefers to use only swim goggles and no fins. We went in the dingy to the very nearby Emerald Island where there are a couple special yellow dinghy buoys for snorkeling. The edge of the island is undercut and there were a lot of colorful,fish on the shady side especially. Also some coral around the perimeter and a few patches near the island. It was better than I was expecting. Two toes on my right foot which got boo boos a few days back while dealing with a backup anchor were on the mend and my left food was pretty sore in the swim fin. I also got a bit chilled.. Anyway we were at it a bit shy of an hour and had gone around the island twice. We did not do any other snorkeling but other spots sounded more interesting but also had strong currents and you had to know when slack tide was to snorkel those places. We were also quite low on gas for the dinghy. When I have a sailboat, I will obviously have a couple sit on top kayaks for use or a tandem that could also be paddled solo. They would be great not only to reach snorkeling places but just in general to reach shore or just exploring. Dinghies are of course much faster and you need a good one but obviously a long time kayaker needs to have that ability to paddle from the sailboat.

Several boats both power and sail left Sunday and others arrived. On our final day Walter again worked on installing solar panels he had brought but not yet installed. Candace and I assisted. Candace crawled into small places to feed wires and catch wood and metal shavings from drilling holes in the deck. I used a manual aluminum nibbler and filed the frame round on the end of each panel to fit the stern rail and clamps. One set of 2 panels add 4 amps with the sun not even close to an optimal angle. As I write this he is wiring up the 2 panels on the other side.

After the solar panel work was finished for the day we went ashore for a little more hiking. There was much remaining to explore both snorkeling and hiking but we set out this morning for Little Farmer Cay. It's very near an outlet to the ocean and we are bound for Georgetown on Great Exuma Island tomorrow. We plan to spend New Years there.











Posted with BlogPress on my iPad

Location:Little Farmer Cay, Exumas, Bahamas.

Comments